An invite went out for anyone who will be in the office on Friday, Dec. 31 please join for lunch. It didn’t say where lunch would be. There was a lot of excitement in the office about lunch and when they found out I was going to go (why wouldn’t I go, it was a free lunch), even more. I know I can be a good time and all but it is a little strange….
We went to a karaoke or KTV as called, place for lunch. We had a private room and pizza was ordered in. The karaoke room is incredible. As mentioned:
- It is private
- Bar service (we had soda)
- Allow you to bring in your own food
- Lighting settings you can select (Disco ball, lasers, etc.)
- Wireless hand held mics available or a wired if you want a 1970 feel
- There is also a stool if you wanted to slow it down and sit while doing your number
- You can play the music loud
- They show clips of movies, music videos, shows all getting royalties for use I am sure
- Like with clothing, many of the Chinese just sing and don’t care how good or bad they are. They just have fun!
The music selection is not that good for foreigners, maybe if you are Chinese it is better. For example Tom Jones was available but the picture I think was really Rod Stewart, not TJ. The girls liked to sing sappy Chinese love songs, or at least that is what I thought they were…. **snore**… I don’t like English sappy love songs so it felt long at times.
Then My Heart Will Go On came up and they said Rebecca you sing! Oh no, talk about sappy, and Celine? No way, she is just not my range so I pass to someone. I had to sing something so I picked Lady Gaga Bad Romance. For some reason, there were no words to Bad Romance on the video so I had to go with what I could remember, good thing I have the Glee soundtrack on my iPod and most of the song is Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah-ah! Roma-roma-mamaa! Let me tell you how tiring it gets after a while. It is hard to sing Lady Gaga and I have a greater respect for her. Back at the office, the girls are talking to others and I can make out my name, Lady Gaga, and laughing. I am sure that is going into someone’s blog about the crazy foreigner at KTV.
I think this concept could be a hit back home. The private room experience and bar services makes it.